LTHC Men’s 2nd XI 3 vs Stone Men’s 1st XI 2

MRHA T1 – Midlands 2

Saturday 12th January 2019

Loughborough’s unbeaten streak was extended to 7 games after a hard fought and impressive 3-2 win over a strong Stone Men’s 1st Xl. A cagey opening 10 minutes from both teams was soon ended when World and European cup England Masters cup winner Mike White broke the deadlock with a bullet strike into the top corner after young Shepard made a breaking run up wide who then fed White to crash home. Town continued to create chances and nearly doubled the lead with some power striking from Hatley and Sibson.

Midway through the half , Town were reduced to 10 players when Captain Patel was harshly given a green card. This did not deter the home side who braved the Stone attacks. Some excellent defensive work from both Ottewell and Shepherd ensured Hie was not troubled in goal. Lawrie made his presence known with a good display of great passes and showed impressive dribbling skills which nearly got him the man of the match award.

With the start of the second half and a change in the Stone tactics, Hie was suddenly woken up and produced a number of great saves which allowed Town to keep a narrow lead. With the home side once again reduced to 10 players with the dismissal of Drury, it was even more impressive that Town doubled their lead after some beautiful hold up play by Harrison who then put Lawrie through squaring the ball to Hatley to deflect from close range.

Stone were quick to reply through penalty corner which had been stopped on the line but only to land to a Stone attacker who took the rebound for a goal. With 10 minutes remaining and the away side pushing for an equaliser, the game became a very open affair. Some excellent play from man of the match Stowe, Capel and returnee Lawrie always ensured an attacking threat. This was to pay off after Henderson who had returned a new man in the new year and controlled play in the middle was fouled. Town continued though as Harrison picked up the ball and found a through ball to Sibson who set up Hatley at the top of the Stone circle. With true experience, Hatley was able to calmly round the keeper and smash home from a narrow angle.

A final whistle penalty corner goal from Stone was not enough with Loughborough running out 3-2 victors, strengthening their promotion push who now sit 4th in the league. Next week Town host Nottingham University 2nd XI in what will be a closely contested affair.

Categories: Match Reports