LTHC Men’s 2nd XI 2 vs University of Nottingham Men’s 2nd XI 0

MRHA T1 – Midlands 2

Saturday 19th January 2019

Loughborough Town Men’s 2nd XI faced a tough second game of the New Year as they hosted an in form Nottingham University Men’s 2nd XI side.

Nottingham controlled much of the ball in the first 10 minutes but without much reward due to a disciplined Town game plan, the significantly senior team playing smart hockey frustrating the overly enthusiastic juniors. This continued throughout the game.  Town started to create chances, some fantastic work by Connor Sign who skilfully walked through 4 Nottingham players before laying the ball to Sibson who narrowly shot wide of the far post following some creative skills to create space for the shot.

The break came following some tidy midfield work from man of the match Tom Lawrie and Henderson who fed the ball to Harrison who fed Sibson on the top of the D. Sibson rolling his marker to create space for a reverse stick effort which was looked to be heading in at the far post before Hatley deflected the ball into the back of the net. 1-0 Town.  The rest of the half was a herculean effort by all the Town players to keep to the game plan and keep the intensity up. Town finished the 1st half the stronger team.

Adam Lamb, acting as coach due to injury, rallied the team at half-time, Town knew a strong, disciplined first 10mins of the second half could set the foundations for a great result.

Nottingham pressed hard chasing a goal to put them back in touch, but Town, through Otter and Shepherd, soaked up all that was thrown at them even if sometimes unconventionally.  As Town pressed for a 2nd, a few attacks fizzled out through lack of composure, until Hatley excellently found a Nottingham foot in their D. Substitutions meant that Sibson stepped up to orchestrate the attacking options. The initial flick was well saved by the Nottingham keeper who could only palm it back to Sibson at the top of the D. Sibson’s first time strike was flashing wide of the far post until an in form Harrow popped up with a cover drive Alistair Cook would have been proud of, to turn the ball in for a 2-0 lead and Town were riding high on smiles.

To close out the game, the players rallied hard and the work rate was exceptional.  A frantic final few minutes saw Town keeper Hie make a wonderful string of saves keeping what turned out to be a clean sheet.  2-0 the final score, the exhaustion showing across the Town squad but masked by smiles of jubilation. Town, now firmly promotion contenders, travel to Leek next week looking to continue their good run.

Categories: Match Reports