LTHC Men’s 2nd XI 1 vs Bridgnorth Men’s 1st XI 2

MRHA T1 – Midlands 2

Saturday 2nd March 2019

Loughborough Town 2nd XI headed into the fixture against a strong Bridgnorth Men’s 1st XI side looking to right the wrongs of the last few weeks. Unfortunately things did not start well.  A swift attack down the left side allowed a Bridgnorth attacker to slam in at the near post. Debutant Joe Oram was left with no chance in goal. One swift because two as a cross was deflected in.

Town steadied somewhat with great energy shown by Henderson to drag Town back into the game. Sadly his energy came at a cost as he twice required a quick two minutes rest courtesy of both umpires. Whilst Henderson was on a break Bridgnorth capitalised. Marking hadn’t worked well early in the game so Shepard and Ottewell tried a different tact of leaving the Bridgnorth forward in acres of space on the penalty spot. Once found, the shock of being so free unfortunately wasn’t enough to put him off and he finished easily. Moments before half time things went from bad to worse as a fourth was added.

A rousing / angry team talk led by Skipper Adam lamb followed and Town stepped it up in the second half. Harrison and Carter created chances but none could be taken. Despite all the pressure Town were hit on the break and Bridgnorth stretched their lead to 5-0.

Moments later Shepherd also found his way to the naughty step for a two minute break. On his return Town continued to press and a controlled move lead to Patel sliding a ball in for Parry to deflect well past a helpless keeper.

With 10 minutes to play Shepherd was to receive his second card, this time a yellow for having the temerity to be run in to. Town continues to push but couldn’t find a way to add a second.

With 3 minutes left Parry channeled his inner Ryan Hatley and failed to trap a ball on his reverse. Unlike Hatley he got something on it but unfortunately the back of his stick. The umpire decided he’d had enough of his ‘help’ throughout the game and decided to take the opportunity to sit him down for the remainder of the game.

With a minute left Bridgnorth completed the rout with a pinpoint penalty corner, with a 6-1 win. Town will look to recover and build on a strong second half against league leaders Stratford Men’s 1st XI next week with promotion still in their own hands.

Categories: Match Reports