LTHC Men’s 2nd XI 4 vs Rugby & East Warwickshire Men’s 2nd XI 5

MRHA T1 – Midlands 2

Saturday 23rd March 2019

Off a run of poor form, Town looked to get back to winning ways in their last home fixture of the season against Rugby & East Warwickshire 2nd XI. Injury to Adam Lamb meant Tommy Ross stepped in to make his first 2nd XI appearance of the season.

Town playing for pride with promotion no longer on the table, got off to a fast start. Loughborough repeatedly pressed and won the ball back high through Adam Carter and Ross who controlled the game.  Also the strong midfield combination of Phil Sign and Jim Shepherd always providing an option.

Town’s persistence paid off with a well crafted opportunity by Tom Clarkson leading to a simple “shimmy goal” from Gav Guest (having recovered from his near heart attack during the warm up). Town swiftly followed up with a second goal as the ball fell for debutant Tommy Ross at the top of the circle and he made no mistake hammering it home past the keeper.

Rugby began to fight back into the game with a few dangerous attacks, one of them drawing a short corner. A deflected shot off a Loughborough stick saw the visitors pull one back as “the hologram” Joe Oram was caught off his line as the ball flew over him. Town didn’t drop their heads though and fought back to restore their two goal lead before the break with one of the goals coming from stand in captain Dave Henderson.  It appeared that the losing streak for the 2nd XI might be over.

Starting the second half slowly, Town came under a lot of pressure and swiftly conceded two goals which brought the away side on level terms, 3-3. Frustration had clearly crept into the Town side as they struggled for possession and were unable to escape their half.

Another converted short corner from Rugby was converted with an excellent drag flick, saw the visitors pull one in front and shortly afterward made they made that a two goal lead.

The home side did not give up though as David Ottewell kept Town in the game with a superb pick off the line, teaching the young keeper how it’s done. Town seemed to pick up after that and a late dribble into the box from Ross evaded the defence as he went on to  strike the ball past the onrushing keeper for the second time. The Rugby side began to waste time after this and despite the intentions of man of the match (and DoD) Jack Chiswell to prevent this, it was not meant to be as the game ended 5-4 to Rugby.

The 2nd XI travel to Stone next week where they will look to end the season on a high having just missed out on promotion.

Categories: Match Reports