LTHC Men’s 2nd XI 4 vs Stone Men’s 1st XI 2

MRHA T1 – Midlands 2

Saturday 7th December 2019

The final game before Christmas saw the home side take all three points in what can only be described as another excellent come back.

Unfortunately, Town found themselves 1 goal down in the opening minutes of the match. Wayward passing lead to Stone being given a clear run in to the home side’s ‘D’. The resulting shot could have been cleared by defender Ottewell, but alas no! Ottewell, caught in two minds, allowed the Stone forward an easy tap in.

Town could have been further behind only minutes later. However, last ditch heroics between Hatley and Henderson thwarted a dangerous Stone attack with some excellent defensive play. This set the scene for the rest of the half. With the defensive line thinking they were forward line, it was left to a handful of individuals to carry the team. Tireless work from D’Souza and Horsfall coupled with excellent goal keeping from Dhutia meant Town went into the half time break fortunate to only be one goal behind.

With a stern dressing down from Henderson, Town were hoping for an improved second half. With top scorer Guest now constrained to the bench due to injury, there was a leadership voice from the side to give structure, insight and encouragement.

However, this task was made harder when Stone grabbed a break away second goal.

From the restart, the home side attacked in numbers. Quick passing from D’Souza and Horsfall gave forward of the match Hatley time for a snap shot. A resulting Stone foot presented Town with their first penalty corner of the game. With the shot hitting a body on the line, up stepped Parry to sling the ball in to the top left corner from the penalty stroke.

Two minutes later, the equaliser came. Some excellent game management and coaching from Guest, meant Megicks was moved to the forward line. His tap in was the end product of a selfless lead and run from man of the match Bayne down the right wing. His pinpoint pass created the simplest of finishes.

With the game still in the balance, it was a Henderson piece of magic that settled the nerves. A trademark reverse shot found the far corner of the Stone goal. With 5 minutes left, Town completed a great comeback, with a second penalty stroke from Parry finding the top right corner.

With 9 points taken in the last three games, Loughborough Town 2nd XI now sit comfortably in mid table at the Christmas break.

Categories: Match Reports