LTHC Ladies 3rd XI 3 vs Melton Ladies 1st XI 1

LRHA Ladies – Premier Division

Saturday 29th February 2020

After an amazing and crucial win last week which took the Ladies 3rd XI out of the relegation zone, some of the pressure was off them this week.  However a win today against Melton would virtually guarantee them safety.

Town started strong and maintained pressure on Melton throughout the first half.  Some strong linking play in midfield between Gaby Giggal, Amanda Conradie and Fiona Knowles enabled the attacking trio of Captain Sam Dalby, Henrietta Lewis and Maddie Herring to pressurise the goal.

However Melton were given the first real chance to score when Vicky Ashenden whilst trying to stop a goal conceded a flick to Melton.  Ever reliable weeper Kate Horrigan stepped up with confidence, but was not needed as Melton shot the ball wide.

It took until about 10 minutes before halftime for the first goal to materialise.  After winning a long corner, Ashenden picked up the ball and drove the D where she connected with Dalby, who battled with the keeper but was unable to score.  Lewis and Holly Clamp then picked up the mantle and finally Lewis slotted the ball in the back of the net.  The first half came to an end with Town leading 1-0.

Town started the second half strongly and they moved the ball around with move confidence, this resulted in Town’s second goal.  Herring broke free and ran one on one with the keeper and calmly slotted the ball home for the crucial two goal lead.

Melton however were not going to let Town have it all their own way and with about 20 minutes to go, managed to score taking it to  2-1.

Town however did not let up with their pressure and as their attacking press continued to work, Melton made an error.  Whilst transferring the ball from the right side to the left, they did not anticipate a loitering Herring who jumped on the stray ball and charged unopposed into the D and fired the ball past the keeper.  The two goal lead was nicely restored at 3-1.

Herring however decided to try to get her hat trick, but was denied due to a fantastic save by the Melton keeper.  The final whistle blew and Town had secured a 3-1 win, and for the first time a back to back wins this season.

With other results going their way, next week’s visit to play Leicester University will see Town safe if they win, without relying on other lower teams results.

Categories: Match Reports