LTHC Men’s 4th XI 2 vs Atherstone Men’s 2nd XI 0

MRHA T3 – South East 1

Saturday 29th February 2020

The Men’s 2nd XI bounced back from their disappointing 1-0 away loss to lowly Tamworth last week, with a hard fought 2-0 victory over a dangerous Atherstone team.  Town knew they would have to be at their best if they were to get anything from this game, as the visitors had scored 28 goals in their last 7 matches.

With less than 10 minutes on the clock Town were under pressure and keeper Guy Heywood had already shown his class with some brilliant saves.  It wasn’t all one-way traffic though, Town were giving as good as they got & had forced the Atherstone keeper into some fine saves of his own.

The game was developing into a titanic battle between these two closely matched teams, but it was Town that opened the scoring. Omar McKenna received the ball in front of goal and then showed great strength turning the Atherstone defenders and slotting under the keeper.  With the cheers of the assembled supporters still ringing in their ears, Town pressed forwards forcing Atherstone back from the restart looking for that all important quick second goal.  They didn’t have too long to wait and this time it was Martin Davies ghosting in at the back post to finish off a flowing Town move to make it 2-0 at the break.

On the balance of play Town deserved their lead, they’d created more chances and the ball had spent more time in and around the Atherstone D, but Town’s defence had worked hard in the first half and knew that Atherstone would throw everything at them in the 2nd half.

Town got the second half under way and It was evident that Atherstone were doing just that, employing a very high press.  It was time for calm heads and marshalled by Man of the Match Alfie Doel, Town’s defence held firm absorbing the Atherstone pressure.

Town’s own tactics now changed, and they were playing on the counter-attack taking the ball off Atherstone and moving it forwards quickly creating several good chances to put themselves out of sight. It wasn’t to be and as the whistle blew for full time Town celebrated their win but also knew that poor decision making in front of goal in the second half had been the main reason for the score staying at just 2-0.

This result moves Town 6 points clear of 4th placed Atherstone and maintains the three points gap to 2nd placed Northampton, for the time being at least their faint hopes of promotion are still alive.

Next up is another potential banana skin in the form of a trip to Leicester Westleigh 2nd XI.

Categories: Match Reports