LTHC Men’s 1st XI 1 vs St Albans 0

England Hockey League Conference Midlands

Loughborough Town Men’s 1s travelled to St Albans Club this week after a much improved performance in the game before. After a tight first quarter, Town scored the only goal of the game when Adam Carter won Town their first ever national league points with a clinical finish from top D.

Chances were created by both sides in the third and fourth quarters. With David Henderson, John Harrison and Ryan Day drawing smart saves from the St Albans keeper Ian Fraser. While at the other end Loughborough goal keeper Toby Jackson and insurance policy Nick Morris kept the ball out.

Town received two cards for Lewis Ratcliffe and Day in the last five minutes of the game but with the help of Jack Thomas and Jim Shephard repelled the barrage and saw Town over the line. 

Next Sunday Town play Cambridge University 1s on the Loughborough University water base at 12:30.

LTHC Ladies’ 3rd XI 2 vs Nuneaton 2nd XI 0

Midlands Women’s Division 4 Nene / Charnwood

On a beautiful sunny autumnal Saturday, Loughborough Town Ladies’ 3s finally made it to their first league game of the season. Starting strong with a 2-0 victory against Nuneaton 2s. 

Town had a strong start even with seven new players trying to work out the sides style of play. With some great pressure from both teams Town had the upper hand and broke through first, with a well fought goal being put away by Harriet Galpin. Leaving the score 1-0 at half time. 

Nuneaton came out strong after the break but some great work across the pitch and a few saves from Kate Horrigan in goal denied them any real chances. Town built the play well all the way from defence with some lovely one twos to give lots of opportunities around the goal. A scrappy fight in the D gave Sam Dalby the opportunity to tap in a second goal taking Town to 2-0.  

Well done to everyone that played and a special thanks to our umpires Beth and Lewis.

LTHC Men’s 4th XI 2 vs University of Warwick 3rd XI 4

Midlands Men’s Division 6 South East

With a lot of new players in the side Loughborough Town 4s will take all the positives from their 4-2 loss to University of Warwick 3s, as they move onto their next game. Town started the game well putting the away side under pressure winning some short corners and getting some decent opportunities in the D, however they were unable to convert.  This was telling when Warwick took the lead with a good deflected goal which flew high into the goal. As the away side got into the game they doubled their lead, which ended the scoring for the end of the first half.

Town knew they could get back into the game in the second half. With Warwick going to a half court press trying to protect their lead, Town knew they’d have to work the ball out from defence well to create opportunities. A penalty corner halved the lead to 2-1, as Andy Hargreaves fired into the bottom right-hand corner.  This lifted Town as they were now back into the game, however this was short lived as a lucky bounce in the D, gave Warwick the two-goal cushion again.

Not to be disheartened Town again cut the lead to one with another penalty corner as Hargreaves initial shot was stopped though Dan Smith jumped on the rebound to get Town back to 3-2.  As Town opened up the game searching to score that equalising goal, Warwick doubled the lead to 4-2 which ended the scoring.

Categories: Match Reports