This week we have match reports from the M1, M3 and L3.

LTHC Men’s 1st XI 3 vs Bedford 1st XI 2

England Hockey League Conference Midlands

Off the back of a disappointing loss to Lichfield under the Saturday night lights the previous week, Town welcomed Bedford to Loughborough on the Sunday lunchtime. The pre-game chat was filled with wondering whether Duckworth-Lewis may be needed to finalise the result due to the atrocious conditions but thankfully as the teams came out to warm up, so did the sun.

The match could be summed up by one team scored their corners and one team didn’t. A hat-trick for Town’s Ryan Day from corners was a better return than Bedford managed as they didn’t score any of their four corners past a usually slightly leaky Loughborough penalty corner defence.

Having gone down 1-0 Bedford fought back with two scrappy but deserved goals to actually be leading the match going into the final quarter. But Day stepped up and with one penalty corner with five minutes to go and then with the final play of the game (although with quite a lot of help from two deflections from Bedford players) got Town the three points.

In the end, Loughborough did deserve the victory and special mentions should go to Toby Jackson for finally showing he can save a drag flick and stand out performances from Lewis Ratcliff and James Lewis.

Loughborough make it two wins on the bounce when they welcome Harleston Magpies next weekend, which is a 12:30 start on the water base at Loughborough University.

LTHC Men’s 3rd XI 1 vs Derby 1st XI 2

Midlands Men’s Division 5 East

After getting their first win of the season last week, Loughborough Town 3s were confident as they travelled away to play mid-table Derby 1s.

After winning the coin toss and starting the game with the ball Town went down 1-0 within the first minute. After a mis control in midfield, the home side counter attacked quickly moving the ball down Town’s left-hand side.  Once in the D a fierce high shot beat keeper Guy Heywood over his right stick.

Whilst Town tried to settle into the game another loss of possession in midfield resulted in another Derby goal as the home doubled their lead, 2-0 down within the first 5 minutes, not the start they had envisaged.

For the rest of the half Town started to play some good hockey as they found their stride, however they couldn’t convert the penalty corners presented to them. They also restricted Derby to only a few chances with Heywood saving them well when called into action.

A positive half time team talk by Captain Mark Dalby, left Town feeling that they were still in this game, due to the increased possessional play prior to the break.  Despite the strong first half finish, the second saw Derby rally with their own run of possession, though due to the strong defence they result remained 2-0.

Town got back into the game again and dominated the ball for the remainder of the time.  They nearly cut the lead in half when Thomas Haworth-Edwards hit the right-hand post, though the rebound was cleared by the Derby defence. Town managed to break through the Derby defence in the 63rd minute, when a great move was converted by the side’s leading scorer Alex Ricoux. 

Despite the 2-1 loss Town can take a lot of positives from the game as they take on Market Harborough at home next weekend. Player of the game: Alex Ricoux.

LTHC Ladies’ 3rd XI 1 vs Loughborough Carillion 1st XI 4

Midlands Women’s Division 4 Nene / Charnwood

On a wet and miserable morning Loughborough Town 3s took on Loughborough Carillon 1s. After getting soaked through at the warm up, the sun came out just in time for the start of the game. 

After a quick start from both teams Town’s defence had to work hard due to Carillon’s high pressure which resulted in an early penalty corner to the away side. A straight strike from the top of the D gave Carillon their first goal. Town fought back hard with Charlotte Steel running the ball most the way up the pitch and down the goal line to give Town the next goal, and level the scores at 1-1. Carillon doubled their lead from another penalty corner, and took a 2-1 lead going into half time. 

After a good team talk Town came out fighting and had all the possession around Carillion’s goal. Despite all the hard work, near misses and a load of attacking penalty corners Carillion’s goalkeeper was too strong and made some amazing saves. Carillion were strong on the break and pilled the pressure on in the last ten mins which resulted in them adding two further goals. The final score was 4-1 to the away side. 

Both teams commented on what a great game it was to play in and despite the loss it was a really enjoyable match.

Categories: Match Reports