This week we have match reports from the M1, M3 and L3.

LTHC Men’s 1st XI 3 vs Khalsa Leamington 2

England Hockey League Conference Midlands

Loughborough Town Men’s 1s played their last game before the mid-season break on a crisp Sunday afternoon. Town started the game well but failed to capitalise on their numerous D entries. However, Khalsa won a penalty corner on a counter attack which was subsequently deflected in at the back post to take the 1-0 lead. Just after half time Khalsa doubled their lead with another penalty corner.

Loughborough went down to nine men in the third quarter but Khalsa couldn’t take advantage of their numerical superiority. Back to full strength Town scored three in the last ten minutes of the game to take the 3-2 win, with two expertly taken drag flicks by leading scorer Ryan Day and the winner by half back Jack Thomas. The win leaves Town in third place going into the mid-season break.

Town next game is Sunday 6th February 2022 when they take on league leaders Harborne 1s at home.

LTHC Men’s 3rd XI 1 vs Leicester 1st XI 3

Midlands Men’s Division 5 East

Playing under the lights, Loughborough Town Men’s 3s hosted Leicester 1s in a late afternoon game. With both sides at the opposite ends of the table, Town expected a tough game.

Town started well, passing the ball around with conviction, though weren’t able to gain any meaningful entries into the D. The defence also held firm limiting Leicester to possession near their D. As the half progressed the away side got into the game generating some decent goal scoring chances, through open play, as well as a couple of penalty corners. Keeper Guy Heywood stood firm keeping the score sheet even. 

On the half hour mark Town took the lead with a well worked move down the left-hand side which resulted in Nathan Holifield scoring his second of the season.

Leicester then piled on the pressure for the remaining five minutes, and just before the half time whistle went won a penalty corner. The ensuring routine generated a shot on goal which the away side thought would result in a penalty stroke, due to it hitting a town player. However, after the umpires conferred it was deemed that the shot was going over the backboard, and therefore the half ended 1-0 to Town.

Leicester came out the stronger side in the second half as they upped their intensity, which paid off as their equalising goal from a drag flick penalty corner eventually came in the 48th minute. Ten minutes later they took the lead, when Town who failed to cover the middle of the field, allowed the ball to be fired into the D, and a lovely deflection went high into the net. 

Town pressed for the equaliser, though it wasn’t too be as another good open play goal from Leicester ended the scoring at 3-1 to the visitors. Overall Town can take heart from a good team performance, though the underlying improvement needed is to play with intensity for a full game.

Next week Town have an early 09:00 start, away against local rivals Loughborough Students 4s in another tough game.

LTHC Ladies’ 1st XI 8 vs Beeston 3rd XI 0

Midlands Women’s Division 2 North / East

Loughborough Town Ladies 1s who beat Beeson 3s 8-0, continuing their impressive start to the season, with eight wins from eight matches and are four points clear at the top of the women’s Division 2 North/East table.

LTHC Ladies’ 3rd XI 1 vs Long Buckby 1st XI 3

Midlands Women’s Division 4 Nene / Charnwood

It was an early 08:00 meet ready for a Loughborough Town Ladies’ 3s away game against Long Buckby. After a ‘hilly’ walk up to the pitch and a very quick warm up, Town started the game in high spirits. 

Town started well with some great pockets of play throughout the first half, resulting in some nice triangles and slick skills allowing the away side to progress up the pitch. This created lots of opportunities, however Long Buckby’s defence was very solid. The home side then counter-attacked quickly, leaving Town minimal time to get back after their attack.

The away side’s defence made some great tackles and clearances with Helen Lowe making some awesome mid-air saves. Whilst keeper Kate Horrigan made some fantastic dives and high saves keeping Town in the game. However, Long Buckby eventually managed to get the ball into the goal, taking a 1-0 lead. Town fought back hard with Hana Rasheed driving all the way into the D and beautifully crossing it Sam Dalby who absolutely pummelled it into the goal levelling the scores at 1-1. Long Buckby then doubled their lead a little later and took a 2-1 lead going into half time. 

After a positive and motivational team talk at half time, Town came back strong making some excellent passes, runs, tackles and winning lots of attacking penalty corners. However, despite Town’s efforts Long Buckby’s defence was too strong and their goalie had made some amazing saves. Town did put the ball in the goal though unfortunately the advantage wasn’t given, and the whistle blew before a fantastic shot into the goal, which didn’t count. 

Long Buckby continued to pile on the pressure throughout the second half which resulted in the home side scoring one more goal but despite Town’s best efforts, the final score was 3-1.

Categories: Match Reports